Moving Out Of State | How Will You Handle Custody?

With constantly changing jobs and lifestyles, it is common for a parent to want to move out of state with a child after a divorce. However, the law does not allow a parent to simply move with a child when the other parent has custody and visitation rights. Perhaps you are reading this page because you want to move out of the area with your child after a divorce, or perhaps your ex-spouse has moved with your child. Either way, we can help you.

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we help clients in Florence, Richmond and Lexington, Kentucky, in all aspects of child relocation and custody matters. We will help protect your and your child's rights under the law.

Custody Rules In Kentucky

Although there are some exceptions and unique situations, the general rules of custody after a divorce are simple:

  • Both legal parents have rights to visitation with the child.
  • One parent is not allowed to move out of the area with the child unless both parents agree to the move.
  • Depending on the circumstances, the court could approve a post-divorce modification of the existing child support agreement to accommodate a move.

Do not try to move your child out of state after a divorce or fight against an out-of-state move without talking with us first. We have a thorough understanding of the options and legal limitations involved and will work to help you meet your goals.

Interstate Custody Under The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction And Enforcement Act

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) involves laws that govern how child custody can be determined. It also includes rules about ongoing custody and post-divorce modifications of child custody orders. An important part of this law involves a parent wanting to move out of state with a child after a divorce.

Although the UCCJEA is critical when it comes to interstate custody issues, many lawyers simply do not know enough about this act or lack experience handling cases under this law. At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we have handled numerous cases under UCCJEA, and we can provide you with the advice and counsel that you need to understand your rights, protect your interests and protect your child's interests.

Thinking Of Moving Out Of State? Ex-Spouse Moving Away? ∙ 859-348-6723

If you or your ex-spouse is considering moving out of state with your child, talk with a lawyer about your rights and options. Call us at 859-348-6723 to discuss your options going forward or use our web form to schedule a consultation