Modifying Custody Orders After A Divorce

Modifying Custody Orders After A Divorce

One of the most complicated and detailed aspects of any divorce agreement is the custody and visitation schedule. This encompasses the time frame when a child will be with each parent. It also includes the details surrounding the exchange of the child, holidays and all other events that may need special handling of the situation. With all of these minute details in place, it makes sense that the visitation schedule would be one of the most important things to alter when circumstances change for a parent or for the child.

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, you will find a lawyer who can help you through the legal process of modifying your visitation agreement or child custody order. We have experience handling all aspects of child custody and other divorce-related matters for clients in the areas of Lexington, Richmond and Florence, Kentucky. We will explain your rights, walk you through the process and help you obtain a modification of your child custody arrangement.

The Process Of Obtaining Modification Of Custody Orders

In Kentucky, the court is willing to consider modifying existing custody orders, but it will not do so frivolously. Anyone seeking a custody modification must show a substantial change in circumstances to justify the modification. Only serious changes in circumstances - things like job changes, major illnesses and significant financial changes - rise to this level.

When the other parent contests the modification, the process can become much more complicated, often involving litigation. We can represent you whether you are seeking a modification or contesting one. Our firm brings the experience and knowledge necessary to protect your rights and help you through the entire process.

Whenever possible, we try to resolve these issues through mediation and other nonlitigious means to help our clients come to agreement on custody and related issues amicably and efficiently.

If You Have Questions About Changing Your Custody Arrangements ∙ Call 859-348-6723

Talk with an experienced lawyer about your rights and options regarding custody modifications. Call 859-DIV-ORCE (859-348-6723), or contact us online today. We serve clients in Madison County and Winchester from our Florence, Kentucky, office.