Am I Able To Be Paid Spousal Support?

Learn more by calling The Grinnell Firm, PSC today

Like most states in the U.S., Kentucky has moved away from automatically awarding spousal support in divorce cases. When considering spousal support, Kentucky courts look at a number of important factors, including:

  • The length of the marriage
  • If there are minor children to support who are used to being home with a parent
  • The ability of both individuals to maintain a similar standard of living
  • The ability of one spouse to pay spousal support while meeting his or her own needs
  • The ability of the spouse seeking support to work outside of the home
  • The earning ability of both spouses as well as future earning potential
  • Any emotional or educational support that was provided from one spouse to the other

The court may order temporary spousal support, which is paid for a specified length of time or can continue indefinitely. Temporary support may be structured to terminate upon the occurrence of a specified event such as completion of career-oriented education or remarriage.

We Serve Kentucky Clients In Divorce And Support Matters

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we serve clients in the areas of Richmond, Lexington and Florence. Our attorney has experience with spousal support and can aggressively advocate on your behalf during negotiations and in court to secure a full and fair agreement.

Whether you are petitioning to receive spousal support or you expect to pay a monthly amount, the most important role that we serve is to ensure that the amount agreed upon is fair. It can be expensive and time-consuming to attempt to change a spousal support agreement after an amount has been set.

As with child support, life occurrences can produce significant changes in income and expenses that warrant a spousal support modification to the original divorce decree. We can review your situation and advocate on your behalf for an adjustment, or we can work to block a modification request.

Finding Fair Spousal Support Agreements

We can answer your questions regarding spousal support or any matter related to divorce during a free initial consultation. Call 859-DIV-ORCE (859-348-6723) or schedule an appointment with a lawyer. We are pleased to serve clients in Winchester and Madison County and surrounding areas.