Third-Party Visitation | Grandparents' Rights

Third-Party Visitation | Grandparents' Rights

In many divorces involving child custody considerations, parties other than the parents may claim visitation rights. The presence of grandparents and others can add fuel to an already volatile situation while adding extra layers of complexity to the proceedings.

At The Grinnell Firm, PSC, we can help. we combine experience, knowledge and personal understanding to give our clients exceptional representation in child custody and other divorce-related matters. We handle cases for families in the areas of Richmond, Lexington and Florence, Kentucky, as well as Winchester and Madison County. Our firm can represent you if you are a parent, grandparent or other interested party.

Claiming Rights To Visitation When You Are Not The Parent

It surprises some parents to learn that someone other than them can fight to claim some form of custody or visitation with their child. In Kentucky, the best interests of the child carry the most weight with the courts in these cases.

Although generally it is deemed best for parents to retain custody over their own children, all else being equal, there are other factors to consider. If a child has lived with a grandparent or someone else other than the parents for a length of time or if one or both parents are deemed unfit, the court can grant third-party visitation or even custody rights.

We Can Help With Your Visitation Rights | Call Now

The court will consider the child's preference if the child is old enough, recognize grandparents' rights as necessary and consider several other factors. But the paramount consideration is the best interests of the child, so the court can elect to give visitation rights to a third party.

Do not wait to talk with an experienced custody attorney about seeking third-party visitation. We can help answer your questions and seek the best outcomes possible. Call now at 859-348-6723, or contact us online to schedule a consultation.